Skip to content

Spartan Spartan and Special Celebration!

June 7, 2012

The Spartan seems to be the one thing that’s occupying peoples minds right now. Almost  70% of the hits on my rambling blog has been about the Spartan.

Well, one thing for sure, my training and my new little eating change-up has helped me lose a few unwanted jiggly areas on my old body. Besides the sweat and pain of the exercise I changed up my eating habits slightly and it made a huge impact in just a few weeks. Anyway, here’s a recap of my workout for those that still seem interested. Some of you have seen pretty much the same before.

Spartan Update!

I’ve continued with the hill climbs using my vest and weights. I think that in itself has me ready for the Spartan Sprint. Here’s the routine I’ve developed…feel free to try it or do what ever works for you.

heading down the hill

1) Wearing 20kg vest I struggle to get 2 x 20 kg dumb bells and 2 x 10 kg dumb-bells down to the bottom of the hill. I’ve carried them, dragged them and also tried putting them on a dolly cart. Neither one is really effective and though I’m going down the hill it’s still a challenge.

2) After a short 2 or 3 minute skip to warm up, I do a very light stretch and then simply walk up the ski hill with just the vest…that’s ONE.

3) Lightfooting it back down to the weights I usually sip water and grab two of the 10 kg weights and scoot as fast as I can up the hill, as far as I can. Last time I made it all the way to the top without stopping…that’s TWO.

4) Carry the weights back down the hill. Sip water and breathe. I then grab one 20 kg weight and lug it up as far as I can, as fast as I can and set it down. I usually get about 1/5th of the way up. Scurry back down and grab the second 20 kg weight and lug it past the first weight as far as I can. Scurry back to the first weight and continue this leap frigging to the top. Technically…that’s FOUR.

5) Back down the hill. By now my legs are a little wobbly. I do the exact same leap-frogging with the 10 kg weights…that’s FIVE.

6) I remove the vest and go back down to the bottom and get my water. I try my best to sprint the hill. Usually it takes two full burn out sprints before I reach the top as I can’t sprint the whole hill yet…that’s SIX.

7) I then rest about three minutes and do pushups on the hill – feet toward the top  and head towards the bottom. I’ll do a mixture of fast and slow pushups for two minutes. I repeat this wearing the vest.

8) I interupt my coach, dear wifey Thai, from her novel, to see if she can watch my gear as I do a leisurely jog around the park for 15 minutes or about 3 km.

9) I always finish ( or try) with 30 burpees.

That’s it. Ready? – GO!

So that’s the main part of my training for the Spartan. That is mixed in with my Muay Thai and Krav Maga classes and weekly long distance run of 10 – 15 km. Well that’s long for me… hello!

..and nooowww – The Special celebration!! This is bigger for me than any race.

FOUR YEARS!!!  Today, June 6th – it has been four years since my lovely wife’s Kidney transplant!!!  She’s doing great!! Yahoooo!

A spin off from ZZ Top…Give her all my lovin’ – all my hugs and kisses too!

She went from here…

A little puffy but still smiling…poor baby!

to here…

That’s my girl!

Yeaaaaaaaa Weefy! I love you!

So with that over and said I will sleep well and be ready to run again in the morning.

Stay well friends – and keep smiling.

Doug

Oh! The fat burning tip to get rid of the love handles? Very basic. I gave up eating any and all grains in the morning. Breakfast is high protein and water or Green Tea. I have lean turkey or chicken or tuna and eggs and nuts. That’s it. When I made that change I could see the little love bumps leave my side almost weekly.

Amazing huh?

14 Comments leave one →
  1. June 7, 2012 8:12 pm

Wow, what a regimen….I respect your ability to stay on track! guess that’s why you are a coach…lol Thank you for the follow, I am looking forward to reading more of your blog!

• coachdougbowers permalink*
      June 7, 2012 8:36 pm

Hey there! Hi there!
      Thanks for the follow – Staying on track is tricky indeed, especially for an old fella. I try to help people help themselves – I guess it’s coaching. Sometimes it gfeels more like begging! I really like to see people improve their mental, physical and spititual health. It all started with bringing my wifes health back.
      Take care – looking forward to your posts.

doug

2. June 8, 2012 8:43 am

Hey Coach! That is an awesome workout you have there. I’m gonna name those “hill suicides” when I do them (after I get a weight vest and find a ski slope)!

Give your wife a big hug and celebrate that incredible anniversary! Inspired as always after reading your post….

• coachdougbowers permalink*
      June 8, 2012 1:01 pm

Hey Mike – thanks so much. I just try to keep the old body in shape. If I can inspire someone like you that’s such a huge bonus for me.
      And no worries – the wife will get an extra Big hug from Big Mike.
      thanks again
      doug

3. Thai permalink
    June 8, 2012 12:44 pm

Thank you, Doug and everyone!

I know now why I was determined to be alive and it is worth every second!

• coachdougbowers permalink*
      June 8, 2012 1:02 pm

You are an inspiration to many kiddo. We’ll celebrate next weekend since you finish your classes then.
      Keep smiling!

Douggy

4. June 12, 2012 9:47 am

Wow, what a workout. I definitely want to add more hillwork, but ouch! I also want to cut back on the grains. You’d think it was enough to run 30+ miles per week to keep the love handles away, but I think we tend to simply eat more carbs to compensate for the higher mileage.

• June 12, 2012 12:33 pm

30 miles per week is awesome. Hill running is a whole different world. I do those crazy military style races, Spartan, Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder etc, and they always have hills and things to climb over, so I need the hills…love handles – you had to mention the love handles! Arrrgggh!
      I’ll be following your blog for inspiration.

run on young one, run on

5. June 18, 2012 6:04 pm

Your wife is beautiful Doug :)

6. January 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Beautiful lady that ‘weefy’ of yours. Does she have her own blog as well? Have a good day. :) Renee

• January 19, 2013 11:32 am

Hi and Thanks! She is lovely. No unfortunately, she doesn’t have a blog. I do have the entire 9 years written down with the hopes of a book someday. It was such a traumatic period for her that she has trouble looking back and talking about it. Interestingly enough, one of her final university projects is about women and the health industry…how fitting. Researching it is very emotional for her but she is coming around and actually mentioned a blog. So – I’ll keep you posted!
      doug

• January 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Thank you. What an inspirational blog it would be! All the best to her. Have a good day. :)

Trackbacks

1. O.K.- O.K- She is more important…I get it! « Coachdougbowers; It's your life -