Skip to content

A Nice Quiet Day

June 18, 2012

This week I’ll be slowing things down a little to make sure I don’t burn out for the Spartan.

I took Thai to a little place called St. Thomas where she had an interpretation assignment. While she was working I found a nice field nearby and set up a little routine;

30 meter sprint – 10 push-ups 10 squat jumps

30 meter sprint – 10 Thai crunches – 10 leg raises

I repeated these two sets three times each and then did a ten minute Kettle Bell work out.

Then an easy pace, 10 minute, cool down run.

Total time – 37 minutes.

After her assignment was finished, we drove to a nice little beach nearby and chilled for  few hours on the sand.We did…nothing! Just watched the clouds and birds and kids playing. We even snoozed a little. It was so relaxing.

In preparation for the run;

I’ve increased my water intake to make sure I’m hydrated – I’m incorporating a few extra, good quality carbs into my diet each day. I’ve doubled my intake of the Auum D3A. And I’ll be sure to get lots of sleep.

Oh – and I cut my hair…really, really short – just for the heck of it.

Other than that I think I’m ready.

Sportin’ the new hair cut for the Spartan.

Hope everyone had a great day as well.

Take care and smile – even through the pain.

Doug

7 Comments leave one →
  1. June 18, 2012 10:46 pm

R&R is always good. Good luck in your race!

2. June 18, 2012 10:50 pm

Lookin good Coach! But in my opinion, you should have gone the shaved bald route :-)

• June 19, 2012 5:22 am

Thanks Big Mike.
      That was the plan…but I had a coach of my own standing nearby that put a stop to that.
      She thinks I look too much like a Monk if I shave bald!
      doug

3. Shirley permalink
    June 19, 2012 6:52 am

Yea I agree with Mike you should have shaved it all off.. Looking good there little brother

4. June 20, 2012 8:51 am

I’ll soon be writing a “Race strategy” post, but in case I don’t get to that before your race…

-The most important piece of advice I have for you is”go out soft, come in hard”…don’t get over excited and burn yourself out on the initial sprint…it’s easy to get winded early on that way.

-DO NOT PASS A WATER POINT WITHOUT AT LEAST A SWALLOW…

-If you are wearing a “traditional” Running shoe, wrap a piece of duct tape over the tongue around the shoe mid-foot (like you are wrapping the foot) to keep it on your foot through those pesky mud pits

-If you’re running narrow trails, practice good etiquette and let slower racers know you’re passing (eg: on your right, on your left) I have found that when you let someone know you’re coming, they will often move a little to the side, saving you some valuable energy.

Good Luck!

• June 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks Muddy – I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I train a lot on hills, sprinting and a variety of exercises using weights and a weighted vest so I hope that helps me a little.
      I definitely will not pass any water! Time for me is not a factor – I just want to get through comfortably and have some fun along the way.
      Thanks again – I’ll keep you posted.

doug